KBs

KBs

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Change it up

What is up?

Thus far, I have mostly focused on how to get better in a physical sense. Today I'd like to spend some time talking about ways to get better in other areas of life. If you are like most people, you probably have a pretty set routine. You wake up at a normal time, you go to your place of work, you do your thing, come home, unwind, eat dinner, watch some TV, go to bed. Rinse, repeat. After awhile, this can be accomplished on autopilot. To some extent, a routine can be a good thing. If you have good habits built in, the routine is a platform for getting better. But it can also lead to stagnation. Not a good thing.

Here are some ideas to break your routine:

  • Pick a day (or 3) to disconnect. Leave the TV off, don't touch the iPad, put your smart phone on silent. Use this time to go for a walk, workout, eat a family dinner or organize some cluttered part of your life (I'm looking at you, bedroom). I am just as guilty as the next guy of coming home and getting sucked down the rabbit hole that is the internet, but I recognize this and make an effort to break the habit.
  • Pick another day (preferably a non-work day. I like Saturday) and do everything with your non-dominant hand. You will be amazed how much more focused you will be on normally mundane activities, like brushing your teeth or starting your car (safety note - don't do anything that you feel is unsafe, like shifting gears or. . .something else unsafe).
  • Change up your workout time. I tend to workout from 3-5pm. I don't like waking up super early and I am usually making/eating dinner and watching a movie or something at night, so this is my best window. But on occasion, I get up early to exercise or do a night yoga class or something to break up my normal routine. It helps keep things interesting and also keeps your body from hitting a plateau.
  • Try a new exercise. If you normally lift weights, do some yoga. If you normally run or bike, try one of the martial arts. Mix it up. If you have friends or family that do different stuff than what you do, ask to join them.
I'm not saying a routine is bad. Not at all. But there is a difference between having a routine and being in a rut. All I'm saying is make variety part of your routine.

Try something new. You might like it.

Jack

PS - Try and incorporate friends, spouses, kids and anyone else who will join into your adventures.

4 comments:

  1. I switch my mouse to my non-dominant hand (when time allows at work). It never ceases to amaze me how hard it is and how much more I need to focus. Never tried chores / getting ready that way before. Will have to give it a try, except maybe not applying make up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I do the same thing with my mouse. Other ideas; brushing your teeth, using keys (doors, cars, etc.) or tying your shoes (or other things that need tying). Exercise your brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO, keys are a good one. I'm going to try that on tonight. :)

      Delete
  3. I do the mouse thing, too guys! We're so cool. Last night I tried writing with my left hand. It was kinda sad, but at least it was (semi)legible. I've also noticed I use my right hand more when texting so I've been trying to balance that out more. It ain't easy.

    ReplyDelete