KBs

KBs

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Habits

We all have them. When we sleep, when we wake, when (and what) we eat, when we move, when we rest, when we're in front of a screen and when we're outside. Our lives are basically a series of good and bad habits.
 
With this in mind, I took a few minutes the other day to write down as many of my habits as I could. I didn't label them good or bad, I just thought of things that I do regularly and how and why I do them. Then I made a list of habits I wanted to stop and another of habits I wanted to start. I looked at them both and thought about where I could add a habit; if my habits were daily, weekly, monthly or yearly; if they were things I do solo or with friends and/or family and if they improved or degraded my health, happiness sleep or attitude.

This was my habits list:
  • Wake up at 6:30 am
  • Breakfast: one cup black coffee with coconut sugar and grass fed butter, two fried eggs, 2 strips of bacon, one apple and a glass of water
  • Something to get my heart rate up: Kettle bell swings, pull ups, stationary bike, yoga, etc. Usually no more than 5 minutes.
  • Shower, shave, brush teeth, get dressed, go to work
  • Eat snacks (nuts, fruit, jerky) throughout the day
  • Hard workout or recovery for about an hour after work
  • Shower, make dinner, eat, watch a movie
  • Go to sleep around 10:30 in a dark room with no TV (I live in a noisy neighborhood so I use an ambient noise machine)
  • Saturday: try new activities and take care of big errands.
  • Sunday: farmer's market day, which includes fish tacos, a coconut peanut butter coffee drink called the Mainlander and shopping for fresh food for the week before heading home to watch football, exercise and cook salmon pasta.
My self analysis:
  • More veggies for breakfast and lunch
  • Do a longer and more consistent morning exercise
  • Sit down less at work and when I get home
  • Hydrate more regularly throughout the day instead of drinking a lot of water in the morning and then not enough at night or vice versa
  • Stop falling asleep while watching TV (not good)
The practice of writing down your habits and trying to make them better can be a habit in itself. The goal is to minimize your bad habits and constantly improve your good ones. Try it out.

Jack

PS - One of my favorite habit ideas comes from my uncle. He gets up every day and tells himself "I feel great and I'm going to have a great day." While this is not true every day it is a great step toward getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment