KBs

KBs

Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year

The holiday season is behind us, and in its wake, we are most likely out of sync with any good habits or routines. Travel, family events, irregular schedules and a seemingly endless supply of cakes, pies and other delectable goodies have given many of us (me included) plenty of excuses for not making good choices. Don't get me wrong, I love this time of year. I see lots of family and friends. We eat and drink and generally have a good time. I don't even think that this unmindful splurge once a year is a bad thing, so long as you do let the splurging become a habit that persists into the new year. Here are a few ideas for getting back on track in the new year.

1) Spend some time with your goals. Set aside a block of time (at least an hour) and write down what you want to accomplish in the coming weeks, months and years. What are you already doing to see these goals happen? What can you start doing? Are you doing anything to hinder your progress? Be open and honest with yourself. Tell others close to you about your goals. Write them down and put them somewhere where you will see them daily.

2) Surround yourself with good things. If you are eating too much cake, don't have cake in your house. If you want to do kettle bells daily, have a kettle bell in your office or living room or both. Proximity to whatever you are trying to do lowers the barrier to getting it done. On the flip side, I have never once gotten in my car and driven to the store because I was craving cake. But if it's sitting in front of me I'll eat it all day.

3) Get out of your comfort zone. There is no better time to try new things than the start of a new year. New foods, new activities, new habits.

Getting better starts with you making a choice and taking action. Make 2013 a year of growth, betterment and success. Start today.

Jack.

PS - I am about as guilty as it gets when it come to falling off the "better every day wagon." My lack of holiday self control can be summed up in one meal. I woke up, went to the gym for a great workout, came home and ate a healthy meal of lean meat and veggies. Then I saw the coconut cake sitting in the fridge. And I ate not one but two large slices and proceeded to take a nap. Curse you, coconut cake!




No comments:

Post a Comment