KBs

KBs

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Try something new. . . again.

I know I've talked about this before, but learning new things never gets old. Sometimes it's good to practice what you know and other times it's good to try something new. Today I tried something new: hydroponic growing. I planted a tomato plant and some tomato seeds in a single five gallon bucket with an air pump that keeps the water oxygenated. The plants are nestled in a bed of pebbles that sit just above the water. I had a good time getting my hands dirty.  I also learned a few things:
  • Gardening takes patience. I am a man that likes instant gratification.  Growing is the opposite of that. It will be months before I see the fruits of my labor.
  • Making something grow is pretty simple. All you need is light, water, nutrients and TLC. Or so the guy at the gardening supply store said.
  • Cats are inherently interested in plants. That is now the number #1 threat to the future of these tomatoes. Not lack of food or water, not natural disaster, not my lack of experience. Our evil cat.
So not many actual gardening lessons learned on day one, but I'm sure I will have feedback after the first cycle. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty excited.

Trying new things is fun. You learn new skills, get to practice valuable traits (for me, patience) and may even get some delicious homegrown tomatoes. Maybe.


Jack

PS - These are growing on my balcony so my cat can either eat the plants or knock the whole contraption to a three story fall.

2 comments:

  1. You should try planting a catnip plant! Give Obie a plant of his own to be distracted by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Rachel. You are the first non-spam comment I've had in awhile. Thanks.

      Delete